Happy belated mother's day to all my fellow moms! I celebrated my first Mother's Day by sleeping in, getting brunch and then having dinner at Nobu. It still seems preposterous that I am old enough to be a mother to anyone, except maybe to my dog.
Penelope had a good day yesterday. She also opened her eyes really wide for the first time. It was truly amazing and although she hasn't really learned to work her eyes yet and probably couldn't see anything, it seemed like she was really interacting with us for the first time. Trent got a good photo and I'll post it later.
This morning, Penelope weighs 1100g (about 2.43lbs). The blood transfusion she had on Saturday has worked. Her coloring looks much pinker and she has had far fewer desats, bradies and apnea. Starting today she will get her nutrition almost exclusively through breast milk, although it may have to be fortified with iron and some other nutrients. This is a big milestone. It means her digestive system has matured enough to digest breast milk, just like a full term baby. I am not breast feeding her though. Preemies are not able to suck right away, this takes a lot of coordination their brains are not ready for yet. She is getting the milk through a feeding tube that goes into her tummy. Eventually she will be able to eat with a bottle or breast but just not yet.
The team thinks she may have a urinary tract infection and the test results should arrive sometime today. UTIs are very common in baby girls and the team doesn't seem to think it is a big deal if she does have one. This makes me feel comfortable; if they aren't worried, I'm not worried.
Thanks for checking in. I'll update more later.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.