Friday, June 18, 2010

Penelope is 60 days old

We just had rounds and there is so much news to tell.  Time to dig up your lucky rabbit's feet, green clovers, yellow moons, orange stars and purple horse shoes....

Last night/early this morning, the nurse removed Penelope's feeding tube.  Her last gavage feeding (through tube) was Wednesday at 3pm.  She has successfully had all her meals through breast or bottle since then.  Today she will be moved from her isolette to a crib/bassinet (whatever happens to be available).  She had one brady last night.  If she doesn't have any more bradies or desats for the next 10 days or so, and she continues on this path (eating, regulating body temperature, not getting sick), she'll be discharged.  If she does have any episodes or other problems, the 10 day clock will restart.  Things are going so well that it is really, really scaring us.  We are so worried that something will happen because this almost seems too good to be true. 

I have so much to do before she is discharged.  I need to find a pediatrician in New York and one in Houston and a preemie clinic in Houston that will track her development.  I need to make sure the apartment is ready for her arrival.  I need to make sure we have everything she will need when she gets there.  We need to decide how to get her from the hospital to home (subway and cab is out of the question).  I need to stock up on sleep, if that is possible. This is all very exciting and terrifying. 

Thanks for checking in.  I'll update more later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.