Sunday, June 6, 2010

Penelope is 48 days old

Penelope hit the 1800g/4lb mark!  We've been waiting for this weight milestone.  Now that she is getting to be a big girl, she should start regulating her body temperature and eating orally.  All this will still take time and she'll do it on her own schedule. 

There are several important skills Penelope will have to master before she can be discharged from the hospital.  She has to be able to handle getting all of her feedings orally, meaning by breast or bottle, and not through a feeding tube.  She has to be able to regulate her body temperature at room temperature.  Right now her isolette keeps her warm; it's set to about 85ish degrees.  She has to go a certain period of time (at least a few days) without any brady/apnea/desat episodes.  Lately she's been averaging about 2-4 episodes a day.  I know there are other milestones, but I'm not sure what they are.  We haven't reached a point where it is relevant to discuss them in rounds. 

Yesterday Trent and I both fed her. That really wiped her out and when she was not eating, she was sleeping.  She pretty much slept all day.  That made a boring day for us, but a good day for her.  Boring days are good. 

Hopefully today will be another boring day!

Thanks for checking in.  I'll update more later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.