Penelope is 5 weeks old today.
We are still waiting for Penelope to grow and breathe. She's breathing much better today and hasn't had any brady/desat episodes while eating. Hopefully that problem won't return.
Today she is wearing a blue polka dot shirt. I'll post a picture soon. She looks very cute! I think the nurses are having a fun time dressing her up. I know I am.
Over the past few days, the nurses have been encouraging me to participate in more of her care. I've been changing her diaper regularly, taking her temperature and applying warm compresses to her eye (it still has some discharge). It really helps me feel more like she is my baby who needs me to take care of her. I appreciate all the tutoring they are giving me. We will definitely be more prepared than a lot of full term parents when it comes to knowing how to bathe, diaper, feed, etc. She will also already be on a schedule when we take her home (whenever that will be), which will be nice.
Later this week, we are going to try to start preparing her for breast feeding, although she won't actually be able to eat that way for a few weeks. Like the breathing and the temperature regulation, it will be easier for her to eat when she gets bigger and older.
Thanks for checking in. I'll update more later.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.